Keep Those Memories Alive!

Love does so many things to us. The past year love has conjured up so many memories for me. Memories of my mom and dad. Each day as I read a friend's blog, Ninny touches my heart as she fondly posts pictures of treasures she is finding as she goes through her parent's belongings since the passing of her father recently. I only wish my siblings and I had more time when we sorted through my parents belongings after they left us. We all lived away from their hometown and in the days following their funerals we felt we should take the time while we were all there to start the task of dispersing their things whether it be to ourselves, family members, charity, or boxed up for sale. Again emotions of loss blocked my judgement in terms of future feelings and memories. It is never best to do things in a hasty manner no matter what the reasons. Careful thought and consideration takes time and I missed that opportunity as I look back now and wish I had saved a few more memories than I did. Memories like when I rinse my noodles in my mom's old colander, mash potatoes with her hand masher, stir tea with the long teaspoons, or pour milk for my grandkids in the colored metal glasses and rake my flower beds with my dad's miniature rake he gave me. Why didn't I think ahead and realize I may have wanted to keep one of her many denin shirts she loved, or one of my dad's favorite ball or knit caps, or an old tool from his garage. I treasure the few things I did take and the memories I experience when I see or use them remind me of the past that so embraces my present. To others they may just be a spoon, a glass, a rake, a piece of crysal, a figurine, or any other little tidbit. But to me they are memories.....something belonging only to me but made by those I loved. I wish we had taken 6 months to adjust to our loss and then set about going through all the memorabilia with more time and less tears. Then I don't think my heart would break each time I realize how little material possessions I have from such fond memories.

I don't remember my mom having a certain figurine but then when my sister showed me a picture of my mom with it 35-40 years ago I knew I wanted it. My niece had taken it and she so graciously gave it to me.
There was a light fixture in the entry way with some cystals hanging from it. I had a thought run through my head so I removed all of them and left a bare looking fixture hanging there for the new owners. I took the crystals and washed them and attached some pretty hangers I found and gave them to family members as Christmas ornaments. Several have used them as ceiling fan pulls also. Something simple turned into a memory.

MEMORIES....the things we are made of, the things we hold on too and the things we pass on to other loved ones.

2 comments:

Haley said...

One of my favorite quotes goes along with this post. "We do not remember the day but we remember the moment." Fill your life with many moments and don't just live day to day. Something I need to remind myself.

Anonymous said...

Linda, this was so precious. And so very well written. There is much truth to what you said. I too wish I had taken of one Daddy's ball caps or that favorite dress jacket, the blue plaid one, of Momma's that I liked so well.

Thanks you for what you wrote.
Becki